Our client covers a wide range of fields to better the lives of Texans, including energy, transmission, water, and community service. They pride themselves on building a work culture of collaboration, as they encourage their employees to help employees in other departments as well as their own. Our client is looking for a Lead Accountant to join their financial reporting department. You will thrive in this role if you are a critical thinker who is quick on your feet, proficient in Microsoft Excel, and experienced in full-cycle accounting.
Primary Responsibilities of the Lead Accountant
- Providing financial and managerial accounting assistance to business units (BU’s) to support activities, benchmarking criteria, and performance measurement/reporting
- Analyzing financial statements and translating them into comprehensible reports
- Developing accounting policies and procedures related to technology process changes, as well as reviewing, analyzing, and advising BU’s on chartfield codes and mapping issues
- Designing, producing, and leading reviews on financial, managerial, and regulatory reports
- Researching industry and accounting literature in order to stay up-to-date on emerging issues, such as changing PUC rules, state and federal legislative bills, new accounting standards, and APPA position statements
- Serving as department liaison with internal and external auditors
Main Requirements for the Lead Accountant
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics, or a finance-related field (CPA preferred)
- 5+ years of experience as an accountant
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel (SQL is a huge plus)
- Thorough knowledge of cash flow statements, both direct and indirect
- Knowledge of accepted accounting principles (GAAP), FERC, and Cost Accounting principles
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or similar accounting software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Unique Benefits of This Role!
- Strong health, dental, and vision plans
- Student loan forgiveness programs
- 401(k) with 8% employer match
- Opportunities for cross-training and promotion
This Accountant lead is a hybrid position based in Austin, TX.