Founded in 2014, with a base in Austin and Chicago, this award winning company has expanded from 10 to more than 1,000 employees. They have a focus on one thing: defining a new standard for experience in freight, pushing the limits of what’s possible for themselves and their partners every day. With specialization in working with shippers and carriers, products and supplies have been relocated from one place to another on behalf of thousands of clients. Our client’s relentless pursuit of perfection fuels their ability to optimize operations, identify efficiencies, build technology and deliver innovation. In addition to expanding its workforce, proceeds from the new investment will let our client continue to invest in its technology and create new service offerings. Our client knows their people are their greatest asset, and that is why they are a “people-first” organization!
Our client is looking for a dedicated Engineering Manager who will manage the people and processes for small and large scale projects in the Logistics industry and the organization. You will be responsible for the engagement of professional development of the team in addition to the delivery of high-quality, robust and scalable software to production on a regular basis. This position reports to the VP of Engineering and is responsible for the technical success of multiple development projects, teams and resources. This company will continue at a high rate of growth over the next few years and the Engineering Manager will be playing key roles as our client grows, develops and matures the organization.
What YOU get to go DO with this mission driven company!
- Integral part to the direction and operations of our client’s long-term strategies and guide their team towards a unified mission.
- Conduct regular 1-on-1s, career development, reviews, recruiting, training, mentoring and other necessary functions as our client grows and shapes their teams.
- Analyze, design, implement and optimize processes that your teams will leverage to be effective, with a focus on autonomy.
- Evaluate new opportunities and make assignments based on areas of expertise and workload.
- Evangelize the core aspects of our client’s engineering culture.
- Coordinate with your peers across the organization in both tactical interactions that keep development flowing, and the strategic conversations and decision-making that allow our client to adjust to changing conditions.
- Advance the goal that everyone in your organization has timely and transparent access to the information they need to do their jobs effectively.
- Demonstrate the ability to build credibility and confidence with a wide variety of leaders including internal stakeholders and customers, and be a trusted advisor.
- Ability and experience with working effectively in a self-directed, proactive, results-oriented, complex, fast paced environment across all levels.
- Technical acumen to understand and apply applications, development methodologies, test automation, and continuous integration strategies.
- A passion for hands-on mentorship of engineers and a process-honoring approach to software development
- This position will be responsible for directing the duties and projects of multiple direct reports.
What you NEED to SUCCEED in this challenging role
- Degree in Computer Science or 5+ years in a management role leading a team of engineers.
- Previous experience leading a modern software engineering team.
- Clear ability to pragmatically balance business priorities with technical constraints.
- Experience driving initiatives, while holding teams accountable for results and ensuring continuous improvement.
- Excellent technical instincts including the ability to catch overly optimistic estimates before any long-term damage is caused.
- Utilize a broad range of rolls from pull requests to architectural reviews to guild and mentoring to ensure excellence.
- Ability to determine which processes should be universal and which can be left up to the team, with a bias towards the latter.
- Document the core processes and teach your team to apply them consistently while simultaneously monitoring those processes and determining when a process has stopped scaling effectively or has ceased to be useful.
- Expert communicator with comfortability reinventing and validating your communications strategy regularly.
What’s in it for YOU?
- Leave the suit and tie at home; our client’s dress code is casual!
- Eat for free on Mondays & Fridays! Snack and lunch options are also available daily. Start your morning with a specialty drink from our client’s fully stocked coffee bar.
- Get paid to work with your friends through our client’s Referral Program! Get recognized through their employee rewards program.
- Take advantage of excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life coverage. Invest in your future with our client’s matching 401K program.
- Sweat it out with local gym discounts or at the LifeStart gym in our client’s office building that includes Peloton bikes, top-of-the-line equipment and personal training!
- Maximize your wellness with free counseling sessions through our client’s Employee Assistance Program and Resource Groups.