Our client is a rapidly growing technology company with a community bank charter. Located in Austin, Texas, they are one of the best performing banks in the country and a nationwide leader in consumer-friendly, responsible financial innovation. They’re well on our way to building a $1 billion tech company with revenues approaching $50 million and a CAGR of almost 100%. Our client has made the INC 5000 fastest-growing private companies in America list for the last 5 years in a row. As a pioneer in fintech and banking, they have their own technology platform, bank charter, are profitable, and are self-funded so they control their own destiny. They are a 5-star rated independent community bank and member of the FDIC. They also have a product pipeline that would make even the most well-funded fintech Unicorn blush with envy, including B2C, B2B, BAAS, and embedded finance.
It’s time for them to add a world class technology leader to their team to help take them to the next level. The past 12 months have been focused on creating and supporting their incredible growth. They’ve added substantial resources, created a new technology platform, and are on-track to launch four new and material products based on this platform in 2021. With all of this growth and opportunity it’s time for them to add a technical leader to take us to the next level. This brilliant, energetic, and visionary rock star will hire an internal team in Austin encompassing architecture, development, test, quality assurance, and dev-ops; and will oversee their outsourced team of 30+ in Vietnam. You’ll be expected to roll up your sleeves and ensure that the activities of the development department are a critical component of the clients long-term success.
Primary Responsibilities of the VP of Engineering
- Lead and manage the technology and the people that build, test, and support products.
- With a primary focus on execution of software engineering initiatives and maintenance and operation of the live products, you will also work at all levels of the product process: business strategy, product strategy, development, operation, and support.
- Help develop and introduce standardized product processes to scale our organization and enhance cross team collaboration.
- Ensure that their systems have a suitable level of security, scalability, robustness, performance and extensibility for business purposes.
- Ensure that they have no single points of failure in our products, platforms, R&D organization, processes or communications.
- Deploy and maintain business continuation capabilities to deal with catastrophic failures in our internal and external technical ecosystem.
- Develop, motivate and retain high performance teams in the US and offshore.
- Develop a deep bench which can handle the loss of any team member with minimal product or business impact.
- Drive SLA performance to ensure unplanned outages of no more than 0.001%
- Manage 3rd party services and devops environment (e.g. AWS) to scale in an optimally cost effective manner, with costs growing significantly slower than revenue growth
- Provide project & management leadership for development and innovation initiatives.
- You will be accountable for ensuring technology projects incorporate appropriate planning, technical analysis, budgets, and resource management in order to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Drive innovative ideas, solutions and products through leadership and decisive actions.
- Cultivate engineering and operational excellence through metrics and continuous learning.
- Ensure world class accessibility to our mission critical software/services & systems available to our internal and external partners, and customer base.
- Given our fast pace, you should be comfortable with ambiguity and the need to get MVP to market quickly, then learn, and adapt.
- Attract, develop and retain best-in-class talent.
- Coach, motivate, and lead team members and organizations to their optimum performance.
Primary Qualifications for the VP Engineering
- 10+ years of experience as a product leader with experience in B2C software/microservices in the Fintech SaaS market
- Demonstrated success in developing highly scalable solutions for distributed/virtualized operations in high transaction volume environments
- Prior experience leading a software organization through growth and transformation in a large enterprise environment.
- Demonstrated management experience in leading software architecture and engineering teams; ability to coach and mentor architecture resources and effectively manage and shape team and individual behaviors.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and allocate resources in a dynamic environment to achieve both tactical and strategic priorities
- Customer-centric mindset with the capability of translating that into the product development process
- Successfully implemented data-driven processes to turn a vision into an actionable roadmap
- Deep practitioner of Agile and Lean Start-Up methodologies.
- Deep knowledge of service-oriented and event-driven architectures.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Skills with design of descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics a plus
- People leader with demonstrated success in building, leading, and mentoring the research, design, and development teams
- Ability to cultivate a culture of openness, transparency, and inclusion.
- Outstanding communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Strong experience and skills leading a distributed R&D organization, with a significant percentage of the team offshore.
- Proven ability to ensure systems meet 99.99% uptime SLA goal
- Experience and skills developing and maintaining technical business continuation capabilities as part of a broader business continuation system and team.
What’s in it for you as the VP of Engineering for the rapidly expanding company?
- Comprehensive salary and benefits plan
- Build a stellar team of professionals that will go on to build world class SaaS products used by millions of people
- Visionary CEO, President and Leadership team that want to innovate and lead the FinTech market and have the resources to do so
- Report directly to the President and have a huge strategic impact on product design and engineering
- Get all the resources you need to do the job right
- They are the combination of the stability of a bank with the creativity of a fintech startup.
- You’ll enjoy a stable, family friendly, culture of consumer-oriented and exciting innovation.
- Since we’re a profitable and highly rated bank, you won’t have to worry about getting the next round of venture capital funding and we expect you to have a work-life balance of a normal human