Our client, headquartered in the “Silicon Hills” of Austin, Texas, offers an experience as unique as the city in which it operates. The firm supports more than 1,700 independent financial advisors in delivering comprehensive securities and investment advisory services to their clients. With a culture rich in reinvention and advisor advocacy, they have developed integrated business management technology that, combined with its personalized consulting services, offers exceptional scale and efficiency.
This is an exciting new role and will give the successful candidate a great opportunity to deliver on a set of high visibility and business-critical software engineering initiatives tied to the multi-year strategy to deliver the next-generation platform for their advisors. The role will define and execute on the Software Application Strategy, leveraging, for example, a fully cloud-based, API-first SaaS platform, and partnering with the business, vendors, and other key stakeholders, that will elevate their Advisors’ seamless, digital experience to be a superior competitive advantage for the firm.
Primary Responsibilities of the Head of Software Engineering:
- Provide overall leadership across the firm for all Software Engineering technology initiatives including the definition of coding standards and tooling, development of a highly automated SDLC including test automation and CI/CD pipelines, continually improving Agile and DevOps practices, structuring the Software Engineering team in a way that ensures full end-to-end ownership, along with all the goals, standards, practices, processes, and technologies related to creating a Product-centric organization.
- Be a key member of and partner very closely with the Product and Platform organization’s Steering Committee comprised of key stakeholders, as well as report to the Executive Leadership team on key technology initiatives, tracking against success metrics.
- Play a key role in defining, and then executing on the Devops strategy across Technology, working closely with the Cloud Infrastructure team, as well as providing excellent technical support for our Advisors.
- Be fully accountable for the quality of the products being delivered, leveraging automated testing strategies wherever possible across unit and regression testing, as well as implementing performance and stability/scalability testing and monitoring.
- Build out and develop a team of well-rounded (‘T-shaped’) Software Engineers who will become the key enablers for delivering the firm’s technology initiatives. Create the necessary Learning Culture for continual advancement and alignment of skills to our technology strategy.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the Software Engineers by helping define their roles and responsibilities, Agile and DevOps based processes, tooling, and automation in order to be a High-Performance Workteam that delivers a high-quality set of technology solutions with a competitively fast time-to-market.
- Lead and execute an API-first Strategy that incorporates connectivity to proprietary software and data capabilities as well as those of our vendor partners for third party software and data.
- Create a Secure-first approach and mindset to delivering technology products that are secure from the outset, collaborating closely with the Head of CyberSecurity and Technology Risk to define practices, standards, tooling, and metrics.
- Work with the Product and Platform organization to define the Products and their respective vision, strategy, and roadmap for each. Work with the PMO team to track progress against the roadmaps and coordinate across functions.
- Partner with the Data Engineering team, as well as the Product Owners/Managers of our applications, to define and implement where data, in the form of actionable insights, can be embedded into our Advisors’ experience.
- Drive technical due diligence on our vendor partners and make an objective recommendation on when to buy vs build, as well as develop strong partnerships with our key vendor providers to ensure alignment on strategy and roadmap.
- Manage the budget that includes all people, software, and infrastructure resources against a budget plan, and is able to forecast expenses against the technology roadmap.
- Create processes and deployment plans, communications strategy, and change management to support technology initiatives being delivered to the business.
Primary Requirements for the Head of Software Engineering:
- Have successfully led a Software Engineering team for a financial services company, ideally wealth management/RIA industry, including broad and deep knowledge of the WealthTech landscape
- Understands the value proposition of when to build vs buy (subscribe) vs partner
- Has a proven track record of leading and delivering complex commercial technology initiatives, working across teams, communicating with various stakeholders
- Can demonstrate understanding and knowledge of where technology can enable growth within a financial services firm as well as address some of the issues and challenges
- Defines an extensible and modern technology architecture for the purpose of solving for business needs today and in the future for the firm and its Advisors, actively removes legacy footprint
- Broad and deep experience with all modern development practices including but not limited to cloud-native development; defining, development, and use of APIs and microservices; CI/CD automation; mobile application development.
- Broad understanding of available cloud-based technologies and third-party cloud-based ecosystem enablers
- Ability to run an Agile organization that relies heavily on automation to improve speed and quality of delivery
- Has efficiently managed against multi-million dollar budgets
- Not afraid to roll up their sleeves and play a hands-on role, including code and architectural reviews
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented with a strong quality mindset
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Naturally curious individual that will help drive innovation across the team and organization
What’s in it for you as Head of Software Engineering?
- Great opportunity to deliver on a set of high visibility and business-critical software development initiatives
- Work with a seasoned, successful, and professional executive and leadership team
- Award-winning, stable leader in their market space and still growing
- Solid compensation plan includes comprehensive benefits and bonus plan
- Full health, vision, dental. 401(k) plans along with a host of voluntary plans such as car insurance, legal services and more.
- A brand new state of the art building in Southwest Austin with a basketball court, volleyball court, baseball field, walking trails, unlimited coffee, tea, and sparkling water