Our client operates the largest knowledge marketplace in the world by connecting experts across fields with powerful insights. The engineering team builds the platform that matches companies around the world with the experts who can help them make the right call on their most important decisions. In the Database Engineer role, you will join the Database Reliability Engineering (DRE) team where you’ll pair with other engineers, product managers, and users to set and achieve goals that help continue to define the future of work.
Database Reliability Engineering is a union of traditional database administration, database engineering, system operations, and software engineering. DRE’s focus on the interactions between applications and data stores. They build a deep understanding of applications, data pipelines, and data stores, and develop code and configuration to optimize the interactions between those components for scalability, performance, and resilience. They work closely with application teams on the construction of new data-heavy systems, providing expert guidance on the design and implementation of data stores and the software systems that use them.
- Tune existing data interactions to increase performance and decrease overall system impact.
- Design and restructure data storage infrastructure to meet performance goals.
- Architect and select the right tools and technologies to provide data movement and structures that are well organized, secure, and performant.
- Coach, educate, and lead other engineers across the technology organization on how to best interact with data through pairing, design reviews, blogging, and teaching sessions.
- Administrate existing databases and data infrastructure (backups, indexing, capacity planning, deployments, etc.)
- Work with the latest approaches to create scalable storage solutions for our applications. (for example, Azure SQL, Azure Data Lake, S3, DynamoDB, etc.)
- Lead with the cloud. Focus on leveraging cloud services where appropriate to move away from managing individual servers.
- 8+ years of experience as a data engineer building and maintaining production data systems and long-term storage mechanisms.
- 8+ years of experience managing and administrating production Microsoft SQL Server infrastructures.
- 3+ years of experience working with Microsoft SQL Server 2012+ (ideally SQL 2016 or higher).
- An affinity for tracking down and optimizing performance issues in Microsoft SQL Server.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to educate other team members on performance-minded schema and query design.
- A desire to participate in all aspects of the development lifecycle from inception to implementation and support.
- Proficiency coding in 1 or more of the following: PowerShell, Python, Node.js, Bash, Java, C#
- The ability to work with vague requirements to drive impactful solutions.
- Expertise in T-SQL.
- Familiarity with basic cloud concepts and experience with at least one cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google).
- Unlimited Vacation Days
- A 401(k) plan with a match in U.S.
- Medical Ins.
- Dental Ins.
- Vision Ins.
- Life Ins.