Our client, founded in 1969, is in a unique position of being able to provide quality motors, generators, drives, and complete power solutions, all from their headquarters in Round Rock, Texas. This capability, combined with the global manufacturing resources, allows them to serve customer needs and realize a healthy return on investment to a parent company.
As they continue to grow, they are looking to add an Engineering R&D Head to the company, who will develop and execute a technology strategy, direct product development activities, direct and coordinate all activities related to negotiation designs and engineering documentation for shop orders and after-market services, implement and sustain continuous improvement initiatives, and build and manage the IP portfolio.
What’s in it for YOU?
- Only the best and brightest people work for our client. That’s what makes them successful, as they the value of excellence and reward employees accordingly. Responsibility is handed out based on drive and ability, not on age or seniority. As individuals they are a collection of different styles and talents bound together by the undying desire to succeed.
- In today’s business environment, challenges appear around every corner. At this company, they welcome those challenges!
- Visitors to the campus are greeted by company mascots – the two Longhorn cattle who have resided in our front pasture since the 1980’s. Willie and Winchester embody the culture. Recognized as the “Trait Leader” in the industry, Texas Longhorn cattle have endured some of the toughest times and conditions. The breed gave meaning to the term “survival of the fittest.” Shaped by a combination of natural selection and adaptation to a changing environment, the Texas Longhorn is considered to be the only breed of cattle that has literally adapted to America!
- Work with a team built with enthusiasm, commitment to excellence, and desire to build something great!
What YOU get to DO at this innovative company:
- Provide leadership to establish short and long term objectives, plans, and policies driving product and technology development and project execution in support of company’s growth and profitability.
- In conjunction with Business Development, build product and technology roadmaps, and develop and execute plans to achieve the roadmap objectives.
- Engage in product development and engineering efforts providing technical leadership and leading global engineering initiatives as required.
- Prepare and manage engineering and R&D operating and capital budgets consistent with P&L and company financial goals.
- Expand the company’s technical knowledge and engineering capabilities by developing staff and recruiting technical talent in support of technology and product development objectives.
- Establish and manage KPIs and conduct regular performance reviews.
- Sustain a continuous improvement program to reduce department errors, increase productivity, and refine design tools.
- Ensure timely execution of engineering orders, and product development projects within budget.
- Manage technical computing resources by reviewing department needs, staying abreast of new developments, and preparing annual budgets.
- Stay abreast of technological developments relevant to company’s business and take necessary steps to assess technology readiness and applicability to company’s products and services.
- Manage company’s IP portfolio determining IP protection strategy, and working with patent attorneys on patent filings.
- Engage universities and government agencies in the development of business cases and technology development proposals, and securing funding and resources for R&D projects.
- Represent the company in business and technical venues, before customers, stakeholders and the public.
- Ensure company’s engineering know-how and technical data is securely maintained and retrieved.
- Maintain engineering compliance to ISO 9001 and ISO 14000 standards and with company affirmative action plan and company safety procedures.
What you NEED to SUCCEED in this challenging role
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering. Master’s or PhD. degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience managing multidisciplinary engineering teams developing and designing medium voltage variable frequency drives and/or medium and high voltage custom industrial electric machines in the multi-megawatt range.
- Ability to confidently represent the company in technical or business venues.
- 15+ years of experience designing and/or building medium voltage power converters or multi-megawatt electric rotating machines.
- Experience in manufacturing and/or field support of custom electrical equipment is an asset.
- Managerial experience must include budget preparation and management, P&L management, project planning and management, KPI formulation and tracking, and personnel development.
- Experience managing continuous improvement initiatives is an asset.
- Proven track record driving business growth through product development and NPI, and developing and executing product roadmaps.
- Experience interacting with universities and government agencies in building business cases for R&D work and funding.
- Experience managing IP portfolio and patent process.
- Understanding regulatory requirements for medium-voltage power converters and electric machines is a plus.