In 1934, our client founded their company in Austin, Texas as a community-driven company that produces and delivers electric power. They manage the water supply, the public parks system, and support community development. Their mission is to make life better for its customers, employees, shareholders, and the communities they serve. Our client has been doing this for over 80 years and they are not done yet. They want to continue being a company that people can count on, whether it is for the electricity that powers our homes or businesses or for the water we drink.
With the company continuing to grow, they are looking to fill a role as a Senior Network Systems Engineer. In this position, you will be the one who plans, designs, installs, configures, and troubleshoots network systems including Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), Wireless LAN (WLAN), Voice over IP (VoIP) telephony, and Unified Computing Systems (UCS) supporting hydromet, generation and substation operations. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services, takes a new perspective to solve complex problems, works independently and receives minimal guidance and acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
What YOU get to DO at this innovative company:
- Design, install and troubleshoot networks incorporating routers, multilayer switches, firewalls, load balancers, and unified computing.
- Proactively monitors, analyzes and reviews multi-platform computing environment and executes problem avoidance practices in order to maintain a high level of reliability and availability.
- Identifies best and least cost network solutions that meet stringent security and availability requirements.
- Solves problems causing network outages including identifying issues with hardware, operating system, application and capacity.
- Acts as the owner of a problem through resolution. Analyzes issue and takes actions to resolve problems (including Root Cause Analysis and Problem Remediation).
- Drafts, updates and follows detailed work instructions relating to network maintenance.
- Acts as subject matter expert while working with vendors, documenting best practices and configuring network tools.
- Documents changes made to systems or equipment through appropriate communications and record keeping practices. Documents work into logs, files, system prints and other records and through communications, both verbal and written, with other team members and supervisors.
- May provide on-the-job training and guidance for colleagues with less experience.
- This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
- Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
What you NEED to SUCCEED in this challenging role:
- Five or more years of experience in designing and/or operating networks.
- A degree(s) in information technology, computer science or relevant field may be substituted per company guidelines for certain years of experience.
- Knowledge of areas including LAN, WAN, Data Center Networking (Cisco Nexus VPC, ACI), WLAN, VPN, Citrix Load Balancing, Cisco ASA.
- Knowledge of network related platforms, technologies, and protocols inclusive of Cisco IOS, Cisco NX-OS, Data Center Interconnect (DCI), Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), virtualization, overlays (VXLAN or OTV), OSPF, BGP, VRF, DNS, and DHCP.
- Experience with a variety of related management tools that include Solarwinds Orion and Infoblox.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as VMware, OpenStack, and CloudStack.
- Experience with automation technologies such as Ansible
What's in it for YOU?
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans.
- A great Student loan forgiveness program option.
- 401(k) with 8% employer match.
- Exciting opportunities for cross-training and promotion.