Our client is a leading national firm specializing in Tax, Risk, Assurance, and consulting services that is scaling up its Houston based team! They are looking to hire a Sr Associate/Manager for the Risk Advisory practice to continue expanding their presence in Houston. You will be responsible for day-to-day project management of 3-6 concurrent engagements. You will have an understanding of the client’s industry (i.e. inventory/distribution, oil and gas, financial institutions) or the ability to quickly learn and adapt to an unfamiliar industry. This person should have an advanced understanding of accounting and audit concepts, including internal control theory and internal audit standards.
- Lead engagement planning activities, including time budgets, writing test programs, coordinating all planning activities on large engagements and designing engagement-specific approach
- Take ownership of multiple concurrent projects and engagements and be able to independently plan, execute and complete the projects with minimal assistance from more experienced team members.
- Assume all project management responsibilities including the supervision of 2-6 staff on projects and ensure the engagement tasks and objectives are completed accurately and that staff is appropriately utilized.
- Execute the documentation initiatives for all internal control over financial reporting areas using the COSO framework
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the Institute of Internal Audit standards and the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF)
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of technical accounting literature, including audit standards and procedures, within the GAAP and SEC hierarchies
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of the client’s operations and accounting system, financial condition, and the industry in which it operates
- Research complex accounting treatment for issues on audit engagements, propose solutions and consult with more experienced staff as necessary
- Begin to demonstrate the ability to draft a complete and accurate internal audit report which adequately documents the objectives of the audit, procedures, performed, results of procedures, the overall conclusion, and recommendations for improvements clearly and concisely
- Monitor and supervise the career progress of Associates in all engagement phases, by cultivating a challenging environment and providing feedback as needed
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of internal control over financial reporting and other critical financial and/or operational internal audit areas
- 4-5+ years of public accounting or industry experience, or a combination of the two (internal audit and/or accounting manager/controller responsibilities)
- Internal and/or external audit experience with a variety of industries and types of audits for public companies. Experience with oil & gas industry, inventory-based businesses, and financial services industry is a plus.
- Thorough understanding of the COSO internal control framework, Internal Audit Standard, and the Sarbanes Oxley Act and the related requirements of Section 404.
- Advanced understanding of financial reporting, transaction cycles, and business processes.
- Thorough understanding of GAAP, GAAS and IIA standards
- Experience supervising 2 to 6 or more individuals
- CPA, CPA candidate, CIA or CIA candidate (CPA preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field, Masters degree preferred.