Our client is doing the coolest work in the world right now, period. What other company do you know that is building robots to explore the ocean for extraterrestrial life and other matter of unknown origin? And how many of them are planning to explore Jupiter’s moons in search of ET? That is what I thought!
Based in Austin, our client is the developer of the world’s most advanced user-friendly and person-portable Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) with proven Artificial Intelligence and Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM).
They are looking for a new team member to be a Senior Software Engineer at our cutting-edge startup working to bring new underwater robotic capabilities to market. A candidate should have 5-10 years of experience, preferably in an artificial intelligence or robotics field, and must be able to perform dedicated, high-quality work while fitting into our highly dynamic team. They are a distributed team—remote candidates are welcome. However, lab tests and demonstrations will be in and around our “Robot Ranch” just outside Austin, requiring regular travel for remote workers. In addition, motivated, qualified team members are selected to participate in our site demonstrations and field expeditions to lakes, caves, the high seas, the Arctic, and the Antarctic.
Primary Responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineer
- Design, development, analysis, and testing of advanced robotic software and data processing systems.
- Lead software architecture for internal, contractual, and commercial projects.
- Aid in data science projects in the field of underwater robotics.
- Aid in improving software development processes.
- Ensure proper documentation of designs, code, and procedures.
- Assist in developing unit and integration tests.
- Maintain the Company’s artificial intelligence expertise.
- Aid in proposal preparation tasks.
- Represent the Company at conferences and/or trade shows.
Primary Requirements of the Senior Software Engineer
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development.
- Experience with Linux, Python, C/C++.
- Ability to communicate effectively among team members both onsite and distributed.
- Motivation to improve the team and software development processes.
- Ability to help solve complex problems during design, development, and test.
- Works in a meticulous and thorough manner to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to own a piece of a project and see it to completion.
- Motivation to learn and act independently with little supervision.
- Willing to learn new skills, wear multiple hats, and work on different types of projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- US citizenship or permanent residency required.
- Experience with computer vision or machine learning for field robotics or similarly structured data environments.
- Experience with the Robot Operating System (ROS).
- Expertise analyzing complex data sets utilizing statistically supervised, and unsupervised machine learning techniques.
- Experience with realistic data generation techniques such as Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs).
- Experience extracting 3D data from images.
- Experience with pose graph optimization theory.
- Experience with implementing code on hardware, including embedded development (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, etc.).
- Experience with a start-up environment and fulfilling multiple roles on a day-to-day basis.
Primary benefits of joining our client’s company as a Senior Software Engineer
- Did I mention you will be building robots to explore ET life?
- Be a part of an exceptional team of scientists out to build something great
- Travel to exotic locations for field tests
- Gain access to the Robot Ranch just outside of Austin
- Excellent salary and comprehensive benefits
- Chance to lay the groundwork for all future software development efforts
- Work in a fun, collaborative, and genuinely exciting environment