AVP, Assistant Tax Director – Real Assets
Our client is an Asset Management company owned by a Japanese insurance company.
As they are continuing to expand, they are seeking an Assistant Director to support tax-related analysis for fund of funds and tax due diligence for real estate and infrastructure investee funds for the Alternatives, Real Asset Investments department. The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding of tax benefits and regulations of offshore structures and corresponding tax structural efficiency on investee fund level. Also, having a broader understanding of audit/ accounting and regulatory compliance of offshore fund of funds will facilitate the functions of this role well.
This position is hybrid, based in Midtown New York.
What's in it for YOU?
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – Premiums for employees are covered at 100% and premiums for dependents are covered at 70% by the company.
- 401k match and Money Purchase Plan (fully company-funded), Life Insurance and Disability Insurance and up to 6 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
- Tuition Reimbursement, Pre-tax Commuter Benefits, and current Hybrid Work arrangements.
- Paid Holidays in addition to vacation days, floating days, and paid sick time.
- Our client provides opportunities for resourceful, independent, and self-motivated individuals to generate ideas and excel in a highly collaborative, multicultural team.
What YOU get to DO at this innovative company:
- Support structuring tax efficient fund of funds structure for investors by applying tax knowledge and consulting with external tax professionals.
- Support the tax due diligence of fund investments by analyzing fund structure and confirming compatibility of holding fund of funds tax structure efficiency with consultation of external tax specialist analysis reports.
- Apply broad and in-depth knowledge of tax regulation, monitor the change of tax regulation and trend of FOFs structure in consultation with external professionals, and periodically advise team members and investors.
- Ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory, financial and tax reporting requirements; monitor current industry issues and support to keep investors informed of changing guidelines to minimize risk.
- Facilitate tax filing/ financial statement audit for fund of funds by corresponding with external tax filler/ auditor and administrator.
- Assure validity of the accounting/tax principles applied within the portfolio; research and resolve complex issues.
- Communicate with investors and administrator/ General Partner and negotiate with administrator/ General Partner on relevant matters including tax, accounting, compliance, and regulatory matters.
What you NEED to SUCCEED in this challenging role:
- Strong academic background including Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- Either 5-8+ years’ experience in real estate and/ or infrastructure fund structuring experience to pursue tax efficient structure based on investor’s tax situation (offshore fund related regulation and requirement knowledge is preferred) or 5-8+ years’ experience in tax and legal due diligence on real estate and/ or infrastructure funds.
- Experience in real estate and/ or infrastructure fund tax and accounting or related field is a plus.
- A professional, flexible team player capable and willing to assume a wide variety of tasks with ability to adapt to change.
- Organized and able to follow up on multiple tasks without direction; strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience and professional manner in interacting directly in-person with senior members of investment community.
- Strong command of MS Office software, including advanced Excel skills.
- Proficiency (excellent organizational, business writing and verbal communication skills) in English is required and also in Japanese is a plus.