You always hear that respect is a two-way street. If you want it, you got to give it.
The same holds true when partnering with a recruiter to find the next step in your career. Great recruiters do more than just recruiting and placing candidates for a single job order. Great recruiters are equally invested in their candidate’s success and provide a collaborative relationship with their job seekers.
When a candidate partners with a professional recruiter, they are working toward a common goal: landing the candidate their next great career move!
So, how do you ensure that you have a successful relationship with a recruiter? The steps listed below will help guide candidates through a successful partnership with a recruiter.
These are the areas where collaboration is vital.
- Prework: At the outset, decide if a new job search is worthwhile or not. Consider the pros and cons. Be sure that both sides are committed because it’s time-consuming and resource intensive.
- Presentation: Work together with your recruiter to create your Client Presentation. Don’t expect the recruiter to create it on their own.
- Interview: During interview prep – and when debriefing after the interview – be open and honest. Don’t gloss over the details.
- Timeliness: Candidates must complete tasks on time (i.e. sending an updated resume, being available and prepared for interviews, doing their homework and research, etc.).
- Follow-Thru: Recruiters must follow-thru on their items (i.e. sending job details, getting clients to make timely decisions, keeping candidates informed along the way, etc.).
- Compensation: Be on the same page relative to compensation (past, current, and desired salary).
- Offer: When closing the deal, lay out all the cards to avoid being blindsided (on either side).
When the above process is not followed, it creates unmet expectations, inefficiencies, and frustration. Also, it’s nearly impossible to attain the goal.
If you are looking to partner with great recruiters, please reach out to us at email@example.com.